We took a look at some of our favorite 5″ quadcopter frames for freestyle FPV flight. New frames are constantly being released, but these have been built to stand up to what you can throw down. We believe you get what you pay for in a frame and these ones are worth the investment. Whether you want something tall and spacious or low and compact, every frame exhibits nuanced flight characteristics and gives you a platform to build something unique.
AstroX X5 Silky
AstroX uses some of the best looking and feeling 3k carbon in the industry. This frame comes with a coated carbon fiber that gives it an extra smooth feel. The AstroX X5 (SIlky Edition) was initially endorsed by JohnnyFPV prior to the release of his signature edition of the AstroX X5. It has been one of the more sought after frames due to the quality of construction, spacious layout, high quality hardware an accessories (VTX mount, camera mount, receiver mount, lipo pad), and a geometry that keeps the props out of view.
- Full 3K AstroX carbon fiber with Silky coating and chamfered arms
- VTX and Receiver mounting plates
- Black Nickel plating 12.9 grade carbon steel screws and press nuts
- High Quality 35mm Standoffs
- Frame-mounted XT 60 Connector
Frame Type: Compressed X
Motor-to-motor Distance: 210mm
Weight: 117 grams
CraftQuads LoFlo v2
The LoFlo freestyle frame is crafted out of premium USA carbon fiber in Longmont, Colorado. The slammed deck and interlocking camera pod creates a rigid platform that protects your electronics. Sprinkle on a bit of heat treated titanium hardware and you have one sexy, cinematic-capturing machine.
- Interlocking arms – Prevents arms from loosening
- Plate reconfiguration – Fits taller stacks now
- Structural PDB deleted – Replaced with carbon
- Slot for locking camera angle
- Toilet tank style top plate – Helps balance weight on all axis
- Heat treated GR3 titanium TORX screw hardware – Bling
- 5 inch, 5.5 inch and 6 inch arm options
- BatteryCouch™ – Angles battery for fitting larger packs
Frame Type: Stretched X
Motor-to-motor Distance: 236mm
ImpulseRC is a brand out of Australia and is a popular frame manufacturer, known mostly for the Alien frame. The Alien has been copied by many companies and is the frame of choice for Mr. Steele and many other pilots. It has a long body which keeps the props out of view for most camera angles and has been torture tested to hold up to some phenomenal crashes. They make a Mr. Steele Edition which comes with an upgraded PDB, chamfered arms, a battery pad, and even a foam wedge for your GoPro.
- Annodized Aluminum Hardware
- PDB included
- High quality carbon fiber
- Slammed upgrade kit available (lowered standoffs and camera plate)
Frame Type: Compressed X
Motor-to-motor Distance: 225mm
Frame Weight: 120 grams (Hardware, carbon, and lipo pad)
Frame Price: $129
XHover is a brand out of Victorville, California. They sponsor and make frames for some of the biggest names in FPV. Kevin “Stinger Swarm” of Rotor Riot launched the “Stingy”, his signature frame, late in 2017 and it was an instant classic. The low center of gravity and true-x design is something that many pilots are looking for. XHover quality is always top notch and this frame is no exception.
- Ultra low design with durable camera mount
- Chamfered edges
- 3k Carbon Fiber
- Titanium hardware
Frame Type: True X
Motor-to-motor Distance: TBD
Weight: 110 grams
Armattan has launched unique designs including the Japlura, the Chameleon and the Rooster. The Armattan Rooster takes the Chameleon concept to a completely new level. Stronger materials, improved design and better provisions coupled with the ability to swap arms with ease. The front camera mount is available in aluminum and titanium. Armattan has a lifetime warranty on their frames and they fly incredibly well.
- Lifetime warranty
- Strong camera pod
- Removable arms
Frame Type: Hybrid H
Motor-to-motor Distance: 230mm
Weight: 125 grams